I Want To Be A Writer When I Grow Up

So, I thought I would start a blog to display some of my personal writings. I would love feed back on any or all of it! I welcome constructive criticism, or words of encouragement!

Monday, August 31, 2009

DUKE ELLINGTON

The assignment I gave my student was to write a poem about what they heard when they listened to Duke Ellington. We discussed some words associated with "jazz." The kids did a great job! Here's my poem:

DUKE ELLINGTON
Dig those sassy sounds
Satin tones rushing over the ivories
Hot-buttered jazz harmonies rock the joint
Flashy beats with rat-a-tat-tat rhythms
Tickle the eighty-eights, Daddy-O
Fresh motifs with righteous riffs
Smooth gig
Frisking the whiskers
Jamming with the cats
The Duke beat it out on his storehouse, brother!

2 comments:

  1. Way cool, Daddio! (That's beatnik talk from the 50's.) If you ever get to see a Peter Gunn rerun, you gotta do it.

    This might be a literary thing of some kind. Maybe you should start a web page and post some of your best kids writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE VERY TALENTED AT WRITING POETRY. iT MUST RUN IN YOUR VEINS OR SOMETHING.

    ReplyDelete