I Want To Be A Writer When I Grow Up

So, I thought I would start a blog to display some of my personal writings. I would love feed back on any or all of it! I welcome constructive criticism, or words of encouragement!

Thursday, October 1, 2009

RESPECT

I was feeling frustrated with some of my students at the end of last year. I had a 6th grade class that showed no respect to ANYONE. All the special teachers (Art, P.E. Technology, etc.) were moaning about how they didn't know how to teach these students respect. It was bad. This poem was my way of dealing with the lack of respect and lamenting the fact that my daughters were growing up with these 6th graders as "examples"....

Respect is fanishing,
A lost virtue,
Woefully missing.
Without this courtesy,
Life is full of entropy.
Control, self control, is ended.
I mourn for my daughters.
I sorrow for their generation.
Because:
Civility has been wrongly sentenced to life.
Decency has been brutally assassinated.
And the golden rule is being savagely slandered.
Is it too late for a metamorphosis?
Can respect ultimately triumph?
-2009

No comments:

Post a Comment